Friday, June 20, 2008

The Known World (Jill)

The Known World
By Edward P. Jones
DID NOT FINISH

Those of you who visit my blog regularly know it's rare when I don't finish a book. What's even more unusual is when I don't love a book set in the antebellum South. Unfortunately, with The Known World, this is the case. I gave up on this book when I reached page 60.

The storyline was difficult for me to follow. It meandered aimlessly, and I felt no attachment to the characters. After hearing several other reviewers (with similar tastes as me) express their frustration with this Pulitzer Prize winner, I decided it was a sign that this was not a book for me.

It's unfortunate because I usually love books set in this time period. I am very disappointed that I could not finish The Known World. Perhaps I will pick up again another day. (no rating)

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I've just read this one too and I enjoyed it a lot. It's too bad it didn't work for you. Like you said, perhaps at some other time.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel disappointed. There are plenty of books still out there, you know.